UPSC CSE exam is regarded as one of the most prestigious government exams in India, and for the candidates, it is beneficial to know the exam pattern which is helpful in exam preparation. In this section, we will be discussing the UPSC CSE exam pattern in detail.
UPSC CSE Exam Pattern
UPSC CSE exam is held in three phases in order to arrive at a merit list for the available vacancies. The three phases are:
- UPSC Prelims
- UPSC Mains
The exam pattern of each exam is presented in a tabular format as follows
UPSC Prelims Exam Pattern 2022
|Paper||No. of Qs.||Marks||Exam Duration|
|General Studies Paper-I (GS Paper 1)||100||200 Marks||2 Hours|
|CSAT- Paper–II||80||200 Marks||2 Hours|
Note: UPSC Prelims Paper 1 marks will be counted to determine the merit list whereas the CSAT Paper-II will be of qualifying in nature (33% marks required).
UPSC Mains Exam Pattern
|Paper||UPSC Mains Exam Papers||Duration||Marks|
|Paper – A||Compulsory Indian Language (One of the Indian Language to be selected by the candidate from the Languages included in the Eighth Schedule to the Constitution)||3 Hours||300 Marks|
|Paper – B||Compulsory English||3 Hours||300 Marks|
|Paper – I||Essay||3 Hours||250 Marks|
|Paper-II||General Studies–I (Indian Heritage and Culture, History, and Geography of the World and Society)||3 Hours||250 Marks|
|Paper – III||General Studies-II (Governance, Constitution, Polity, Social Justice and International relations)||3 Hours||250 Marks|
|Paper – IV||General Studies– III (Technology, Economic Development, Biodiversity, Environment, Security and Disaster Management)||3 Hours||250 Marks|
|Paper – V||General Studies– IV (Ethics, Integrity, and Aptitude)||3 Hours||250 Marks|
|Paper – VI||Optional Paper– I (Candidates may choose any one of the optional subjects)||3 Hours||250 Marks|
|Paper – VII||Optional Paper-II||3 Hours||250 Marks|
Note: Paper A & B is of Qualifying in Nature (25% i.e. 75 marks required). Whereas marks of Paper I to VII will be counted to determine the final order of merit.
|Personality Test/Interview||275 Marks|
- Candidates who have cleared the UPSC Mains Exam are called for an interview or a personality test, here the candidates are interviewed by a board that is appointed by the UPSC.
- The candidate will be interviewed by a board based on the details and interests updated by him/her in the Detailed Application Form (DAF).
- The objective of the interview is to assess the suitability of the candidate for civil services
- In the personality test, the candidates must be very well versed with their field of study as well as the current affairs both at the national and international level.
- This interview is more of a conversation that is aimed at gauging the mental as well as the analytical ability of the candidate.
- The grand total is arrived at by adding the marks obtained in the mains exam and the interview out of a maximum possible marks of ( 1750 +275 = 2025). Based on this number, the merit list is prepared.
1. What is the last date to apply for UPSC CSE 2022 Examination?
A. The last date to apply for UPSC CSE 2022 Examination is 22nd February 2022 till 6 pm.
2. Where can I apply for UPSC CSE 2022 Examination?
A. Click on the link here to apply for UPSC CSE 2022 Examination.
3. What is the exam pattern of UPSC CSE 2022 Examination?
A. The three phases of UPSC CSE 2022 Examination are: UPSC Prelim, UPSC Mains and Interview
4. What is the total marks of UPSC CSE 2022 Prelims and Mains Examination 2022?
A. The total Marks of Prelims exam is 400 and that of Mians examination is 1750 in UPSC CSE 2022 Examination.